- Mesothelioma types
- Mesothelioma types: Pleural mesothelioma
- Mesothelioma types: Peritoneal mesothelioma
- Mesothelioma types: Pericardial mesothelioma
- Mesothelioma types: Chart of types of mesothelioma
- Mesothelioma types: Male / female mesothelioma ratio
Pericardial mesothelioma is the rarest asbestos-related cancer, affecting the lining that surrounds the heart. As with all mesotheliomas, it is a result of exposure to asbestos. The latency period ranges from 10 to 50 years.
If you have worked with asbestos, it is important that you always keep this in mind should symptoms that could be relevant materialize.
Some of the more common symptoms include a persistent cough, shortness of breath, palpitations, and chest pain. Your doctor may run tests such as an MRI or CT Scan, to try and see what is happening to your heart. Pericardial mesothelioma is very difficult to diagnose. It is also very difficult to treat.
Treatment can include radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and in some cases, surgery.
Anna L. Kaplan, M.D.